History of Football: FIFA World Cup - 1982

The twelfth FIFA football World Cup tournament took place in Spain from 13th June to 11th July 1982.

This was the last World Cup to feature a fully leather ball. It also saw the fastest hat-trick in World Cup football history on 15th June 1982 when Hungary’s Laszlo Kiss scored after 70, 74 and 77 minutes against El Salvador. He is also the only substitute to have scored a hat-trick. Hungary beat El Salvador 10.1 in that match - the highest number of goals scored by one team in a World Cup finals match and the joint second highest scoreline in a World Cup history.

Algeria, Cameroon, Honduras, Kuwait and New Zealand all qualified for the World Cup finals for the first time. Cameroon and Algeria were both eliminated despite being unbeaten in the tournament.

Italy became world champions for the third time in 1982, after their pre-war triumphs in 1934 and 1938. Their victory was in no small part due to the goalscoring feats of six-goal striker, Paolo Rossi, including a hat-trick against a resurgent Brazilian side featuring Zico, Falcao, Socrates and Eder. Italy’s captain, Dino Zoff, was 40 when he played in the World Cup Final and remains the oldest man to receive a winner’s medal. At the other end of the scale 18-year-old full-back, Giuseppe Bergomi became the youngest Italian to appear on the world stage.

Bryan Robson scored one of the fastest goals in World Cup football history – after just 27 seconds of England’s first game against eventual semi-finalists France.

Northern Ireland – qualifying for the first time since 1958 and recording a famous first-round victory over the hosts, Spain, included Norman Whiteside who surpassed Pele’s record as the youngest player in the tournament’s entire history – aged 17 years and 41 days.

The total attendance figure for the 1982 World Cup finals was 2,109,723 – the first time it had topped two million in World Cup football history. Viewers will remember these finals for two key incidents in particular:

Penalty shootouts to decide semi-final and final matches were introduced for the first time and, on 8th July 1982, Alain Giresse of France became the first player to take a penalty in a World Cup shootout. He also became the first player to score in a shootout but France lost 4.5 to West Germany. The match was overshadowed though by French substitute, Patrick Battiston, being clattered by German goalkeeper, Harald Schumacher, when through on goal, but no red card was shown or free-kick awarded by the referee.

The second bizarre incident was on 21st June 1982 when, in a match against France, Kuwaiti players complained that they had heard a whistle and stopped playing. Prince Fahid, the Kuwaiti FA president, walked out to the field to argue with the referee, threatened to pull his team out and subsequently walked off the pitch. They were ordered back on but still lost the match 4.1.

The final was held at the Estadio Santiago Bernabéu in Madrid on 11th July 1982 in front of a crowd of 90,000. Italy beat West Germany 3.1. Italy’s scorers were Paolo Rossi, Marco Tardelli and Alessandro Altobelli; Paul Breitner scored for West Germany, becoming only the third player at the time to have scored in two separate World Cup Final matches – his previous goal being in West Germany’s triumph in 1974 (Vavá scored in the 1958 and 1962 finals; Pelé scored in 1958 and 1970. Zinedine Zidane would repeat the feat in the 1998 and 2006 World Cup Finals).

The Golden Boot (‘adidas Golden Shoe’ from this tournament until 2006) award for most goals scored in the tournament was won by Paolo Rossi of Italy with 6 goals

Winners: Italy

Runners-up: West Germany

The Football Ground is a content aggregating site and is in no way endorsed, authorised or licensed by any of the third-party sites being linked to

You can contact us at any time via our Contact us page

Share this page